Gelish After Care
I hope that you enjoy your new nails. I expect them to last at least 14 days as long as you give them a little care and attention during that time.
Remember that no gel polish is indestructible, and how you treat your nails after your Gelish manicure will have an effect on how well the product lasts. There are a number of simple things that you can make part of your daily routine that will help ensure the longevity of your manicure.
- Be especially careful in the first 24 hours after application as the polymerization process is still taking place. During this time, avoid intense heat (saunas or sun beds) and do not soak your nails in water (eg. in a relaxing bath or jacuzzi).
- Use cuticle oil at least once, and preferably twice, daily. Dab a small amount on to each nail and rub in to the surrounding skin and cuticle area. Your nails need moisture and nourishment to stay strong and healthy and the daily use of a cuticle oil will ensure you get the best out of your Gelish manicure.
- Also beneficial is the daily use of a good quality hand lotion. Most of us use moisturising products and conditioner as part of our daily beauty regime to keep our skin and hair in tip top condition, so don't forget your hands and nails too!
- When doing household chores, avoid using harsh chemicals and cleaning products without protecting your hands. Always wear rubber gloves when washing up, cleaning or gardening. The chemicals in cleaning products can break down the surface of the Gelish and cause lifting and staining.
- As tempting as it may be, never pick or peel the product off your nails. Doing so can cause damage to the natural nail plate. Gelish does not damage the natural nail, but it does need to be soaked off and removed in the correct manner. Never try to remove the product yourself unless you have been educated in the correct removal process. Incorrect removal of any gel polish can result in damage to the natural nail plate.
- DO NOT file your nails unless absolutely necessary, take care to file gently and finish in a downward stroke.
- Use the pads of your fingers rather than your nails when opening car doors, cans, etc.
- If you have caught or broken a nail please make an appointment for repair.
- If you are going on holiday please be careful when using sun tan oils/lotions and insect repellent solutions as many of these products contain DEET which will cause damage to the Gelish colour coat. Wash hands thoroughly after use.
- Your Gelish will need maintenance due to visible re-growth. At this point I can either re-Gelish your nails (remove existing colour and apply a new one) or remove the polish completely which takes up to 30 minutes. Book your next maintenance appointment for 2-3 weeks time to avoid disappointment.
Remember, your nails are jewels not tools!